.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

reticence & regeneration

Rivers knew only too well how often the early stages of change or cure may mimic deterioration. Cut a chrysalis open, and you will find a rotting caterpillar. What you will never find is that mythical creature, half caterpillar, half butterfly, a fit emblem of the human soul, for those whose cast of mind leads them to seek such emblems. No, the process of transformation consists almost entirely of decay.

--from Regeneration, by Pat Barker

I am writing a paper on this book, right now, at 4:30 in the morning, about the ways masculinity was constructed during the First World War. I am using the word phallus a lot. I can honestly say I wouldn't rather be sleeping. Though I do wish I had finished the assignment a week ago.

I would like to apologize for my reticence this month.
Hee hee. I'm also using the word reticence in my paper, because silence is a form of resistance to the language-driven power structure of western society. Don't worry, though. My silence has nothing to do with my desire to subvert the authority of anyone who may or may not be reading this post.

Next week heralds a much needed break from my studies. I hope to share some words with some of you, when that time comes.


Comments:
Useful.

Danke.
 
hi. i'll see you in 21 hours. love, cm
 
Lots of smiles, David.
 
Hey David! I hope that you're having a fabulous and relaxing Thanksgiving Break. Take that well-deserved break from studies. See you soon!
 
what's up Dahveed! Long time no see. Hope you had a great and Thankful Thanksgiving!
 
phallus? reticence? I'm an engineer! Someone get me a dictionary!
 
So, what was that you were saying ummm, how long ago was it, a month? about reticence?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?