.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, August 18, 2005

No society that feeds its children on tales of successful violence can expect them not to believe that violence in the end is rewarded.

-Margaret Mead, anthropologist (1901-1978)


They've started referring to the London bombings as "7/7," presumably to mirror the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, what we now refer to euphemimstically as "9/11."

I was a senior in high school on September 11, 2001, and we turned the television on in the middle of Macroeconomics just in time to see its greatest monument collapse. In between first and second periods, my classmates and I discussed whether they might be reinstating the draft for the war that would inevitably begin the next day. I'm still ashamed that, of all the possible reactions to such a situation, I was most concerned about whether I was going to be required to do anything about it.
Over the next several weeks, the football stadium turned into a rallying point of freedom, as the crowd rose together before the kickoff to sing enthusiastically, "I'm Proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free." In the mornings, my economics teacher would educate us on the secret workings of the world using charts and formulas and specialized jargon. She once led us through a deliberation over whether defending this machine would be worth her own students' lives. She couldn't say for sure. This was the semester that I lost my faith in my country, in countries altogether.
Shit, I lost my faith in people as a species.

September 11th was so horrifying to me because thousands of individuals died for something that they personally had nothing to do with. Autonomous moral agents with distinct lives they had created for themselves were reduced to a category. Americans.
This sacrifice of individual lives for the sake of a political statement is how I choose to define terrorism.
But pay attention to the rhetoric we're using in the west to retaliate. It's the war on terror. It's the Americans (or the west or democracy or Israel or whomever) versus the Terrorists. Us and Them. We have conveniently reduced these depraved or brainwashed or tormented souls (but souls nonetheless) to a faceless group of evil that we have the duty and the right to eradicate. The irony of this reverse "terrorism" aside, fighting back with this sort of attitude seems savagely disrespectful to the victims. Terrorists are not so much bad because they kill people as they're bad because they dehumanize the individual. So in responding as a nation--singing patriotic songs at football games as we did, and now adopting a formated dating system--we are accepting the dehumanization of the individuals who died. We are right and they are wrong. And we are even embracing it: adopting it in order to dehumanize the individuals who started it.
This isn't a medicine we'd like to give them a dose of, is it? How dare they defy democracy? is absolutely the wrong question. How dare they defile humanity?

We can't handle mentioning the actual event. The tragedy is too painful, so we speak of it in terms of the date on which the event occurred. But after five more years of this will we not only refer to 9/11 and 7/7, but 5/18 and 1/22 and 12/25? Will these dates of terrorist attacks come to reflect the act of terrorism itself--individual bombings causing the deaths of individuals lumped into a political/historical/analytical anonymity?

But here's where the really terrifying part comes in, as the quote I opened with brought this whole topic to light in my mind: I can't conceive of any better way to solve the problem.

Go ahead, then. Nuke 'em all to hell.

Comments:
Every label is dehumanizing, then? As long as we make sure that someone is identified primarily by a label, (say, "Christian"?) then we (society as a whole) are able to control them.

What would happen if everyone lost their labels? If they were ripped off like shirt tags? I don't think that we could handle it.
 
It isn't the label that I'm bothered by. You can label whomever however you want, as far as I'm concerned. But then to act violently or oppressively based on that label--but that's not even what's happening here. We (terrorists and Americans alike) are labeling people without having any real concept of who each person is. And we don't care about what that person is. We care about our agenda.
At least when you look at someone and say "He's a Christian, he fits this stereotype," you're according him some individuality.

I don't know. It's an underdeveloped thought. Point out other problems, people. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?