.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Epicurus said that eating alone is the life of a wolf. He thought that the whole point of life was to enjoy yourself as much as possible, but that it was pointless if you don't have a few good friends to enjoy it with. So he moved into a big house with a lot of other intellectual types to eat good food and drink good wine (in moderation, of course, for he abhorred over-indulgence) and form a whole philosophy out of it. The part about pleasure being the meaning of life is pretty much bullshit, as far as I can tell, but he's on to something with the part about the friends.

I passed a guy sitting cross-legged on the floor of an off-to-the-side hallway in Parker this morning. He was hunched over a tupperware bowl eating something that looked like sawdust, his face reflecting up at him in the shiny brown linoleum. He glanced at me as I passed the way a dog will shift a little when you get too close to his food. And I thought, "Are we animals without each other?"

Comments:
Not being able to trust, being abused, or not having something (maybe friends or food) can lead to this. It sounds like he’s been hurt in someway that causes him to fear others, or fear things will be taken away from him. But that’s my two cents, coming from my personal experances.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
If you really care the you have to make a differance. Unfortunatly this won't be easy, as you are looking at a lot of work just to gain his trust, muchless anything else. But until someone takes up that challenge, his situation won't change. Even with Christ, you can only take so much from others before you start to shut the out, and shy away from others. (sorry, I had to delete my last comment...I had a few errors in it.)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?