.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, May 13, 2005

(un)packing

I told Brandon I was an expert at moving because I've done it so many times, and that I would be glad to help him pack up his stuff. But there's so much I'd never realized....
I didn't help very much. I sat on his bed until three in the morning, hoping he wouldn't be finished, because once someone leaves he can only come visit--and he'll never again bear that feeling of home.
Watching him pack up his stuff was like watching him unpack himself. The way you find things you'd forgotten you'd lost behind dressers and in dusty closets. Going through notebooks and sorting out trash, staring long into pictures and telling their stories, he unloaded his bookshelf into a box. He was meticulous with every piece of junk and every heirloom, as if it were a treasure chest for losing at sea, and not just a rubber tub from Walmart.

I've always held onto everything, silly things, in box upon stupid cigar box, afraid I'd forget what already was blurred from too many transportations. But maybe that feeling of home will always hover around Brandon--and all who I've let feel like home. Maybe I don't need a box full of tickets to nurture a sense of history.
Maybe it's time to unpack.

Comments:
Funny how we hold onto things because they somehow connect us to people and places we used to know, and even the people we used to be. Maybe you're right, maybe it is time for an unpacking, I'll have to get up the courage before I clear out all the old junk, but, if I ever do, it certainly would feel good to get rid of all of it, and lay most of the memories to rest, free to be what they are, instead of twisted to fit the shape of some piece of junk that I've attatched them to. (If I read that completely wrong, forgive me, but, yeah, moving and packing haul up alot of emotions for me) Oh, and I bet I'm a better packer than you, I've also had much experience. Check out my new xanga if you haven't found it already; itsnotaboutme33
 
I am a pack rat too......one reason is that the day after I get rid of some junk I find that I need part of it for something.
 
You know, I've had similar experiences. But then, who hasn't right? I've been an incredible pack rat in the past, but as I was moving back into my parent's house, I realized that I really did not have room for everything. I've had a glass bottle collection since about 9th grade, and as I threw the bottles into the recycling bin, I felt like a piece of me shattered as the glasses broke on each other, but then maybe it was a piece of me being released. It was painful, but there is never growth without pain.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?