.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The time it is a-changin'!

I always hate the time change. Sunday and Monday were so disorienting! Since I woke up at one o'clock on Sunday it was dark within four hours. Ben came over at dusk and we ended up moving around town randomly, stopping in different places for an hour or two before moving on aimlessly, and it felt like the night went on forever. I had fun, but I caught myself wondering if eternal darkness had descended on the earth, some sort of plague for humanity's reproval or something? :)
And Monday the sun just wasn't in its normal cycle, so every time I'd change classes it felt like I was in the wrong place. Am I unusual to be so sensitive to the angle of light, or is that innate to all humans? Regardless, I felt like crap on Sunday and Monday, like I was Emma Bovary or Anna Karenina in the first chapters of our tragedies, peering over the edge of a cliff into a hopeless abyss of destruction.
Praise be to Jesus, I recovered quickly. Today it's been overcast, so I don't have to deal with the sunlight trying to screw me up. It was a momentary insanity, probably a violent reaction against all the good that was done in my life the previous week. This guy came into town and I heard him preach three different times, got him to pray for me. I got to pray with different people and really had a great time ministering to folks. It was kind of an encouragement for me to begin stepping out more, take the gifts God has given me and dispense them into the world: that's what they're for! So, I don't think the devil liked that. He wanted to trip me up.
But God sent the clouds to reset my equilibrium. :)


On the bright side, there's something magical about the time change.
It gives me the same feeling I had that Tuesday afternoon in September: I had been up at Taylor's with Tamara studying for that Friday's test in Medical Micro. Our heads were spinning with a dozen very serious-sounding, but relatively meaningless, italicized, multi-syllabled terms like Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae and the coffee was on the verge of running out when I got a call from my mother. What were my plans for the week now that all classes had been cancelled until Monday for Hurrican Ivan?
They were simple: Sleep! Play! Dance in the rain!
Laugh in the face of danger!

Oh...and study........a little.
It just gave me hope to think that maybe the adult world isn't all as serious and stuffy as it makes itself out to be. I could sense the childlike delight in everyone's eyes as we rushed to make our preparations for the unplanned vacation.
It just seems like every now and then the whole world of grown-ups winks at one another and takes a break together. Maybe we aren't all doomed to boredom, after all! :) Sleep an extra hour; take the week off; take some time to wind down. There's more to life than making money! :)


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?